Our Beautiful Family

Our Beautiful Family
"Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans..." Isaiah 1:17a

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Saying goodbye...........

Day 5 (Wednesday) LAST DAY-
Breakfast at the guest house- We woke early this day. We decided to go on a morning walk with another couple. I really bonded with one of the ladies who was also staying at the guest house. The walk was beautiful!!! I saw women carrying huge jugs to get water. Made me realize how much I take for granted. At home, we waste water and these women had to wait in a long line to get water every morning. It was heartbreaking.  I also got to see a school!!! The school was definitely different than my school. I was fascinated by the classrooms. I got excited to see one classroom with multiplication facts on the board! I also met a teacher while walking around. She was so excited to know that I was also a teacher. She hugged me and kissed my cheek! She was so sweet! As we walked around , I passed out more toys. The kids were so appreciative of these toys. I absolutely loved making them smile. When we got back, we went to the market one last time. I wanted to get a few more things. We didn't have much time, but enough time to get a few things. Then it was time to head to the foster home.
Check out the multiplication facts!!!


One of the teachers at the school

A classroom

This is the outside of the school

Foster home-Today was a hard day for me. I was really trying to enjoy every minute of Keira, but it was hard to feel happy. I was about to leave my baby. I didn't want the morning to end. I did not want the day to end. Matt and I hugged and loved all over........Of course, the two hours flew by! The nannies came and took the babies away. Once again, tears ran down my face...................



Lunch/Embassy-  Lunch time was VERY stressful. Everyone had to be somewhere and there were barely enough drivers. Two other families had court today. I was very excited for them too! When we got home, we ate lunch and they went to court. Matt and I had to have something notarized so we had to go to the US Embassy. We waited for our driver to pick us up at 2pm. I was nervous about this time because I was afraid we would not make it back in time for our LAST visit with Keira.  As I was sitting on the steps, I felt very sad. I kept getting so emotional thinking about leaving her. Once our driver arrived, we went to the US Embassy. It was very busy! After that long process, it was time to head back to the foster home. It was almost 3:00. We still had to take Keira's visa papers to Mr. Alemu (our lawyer) and pay some fees. With that said, I started to stress out!!! I did not want to miss any time with Keira. Our driver dropped me off at the foster home. Matt volunteered to do all the paperwork so I could have more time with my sweet girl. I couldn't keep it together.


Saying goodbye......As I held my sweet baby, I would cry looking at her. I couldn't figure out how I was going to say goodbye. Thinking about this moment, brings tears to my eyes. Matt finally arrived at 4:00. He didn't have much time to visit with her. So I handed her to Matt ( I didn't want to share). He noticed how sad I was so he handed her back to me so I could hold her even closer. Both of us loved all over her. We kissed, hugged, and loved on her every second. We showed her pictures of her brother and sister. She loved the pictures!!! It was very hard to say goodbye. When it was time to hand her over, I cried and cried. The nanny kept standing there waiting for me to hand her Keira. It was so hard handing her away. I have experienced a lot of heartbreak in my life, but this hurt. I remember Keira looking at me as if she knew I was sad. Her BIG eyes just starred at me. I had no idea that I would love her so much. Keira is truly special. God created this perfect little girl just for us. I thank God for her birth mother. I think about what her mother must have felt. Her biological mother probably felt terrified, lonely, and helpless. If only she knew how much we appreciate her. If only she knew how much her baby would be loved. I am so thankful that God placed that baby in her belly to grow! I wish I could hug her biological mother and tell her that her little girl will be loved forever. I wish that I could thank her for giving her baby a wonderful life. We will give her daughter an amazing life. We will never fail her. Although, Keira's biological mother's situation was not great and she probably experienced a lot of heartbreak..... I thank God everyday for giving me the most amazing little girl.



Moments before I had to say goodbye..........
The end........I cried a lot, but I pulled myself together. Since it was our last night, we all decided to go out and eat dinner. All the wonderful families, drivers, and a the wonderful woman who took care of us all ate at Island Breeze. It was a wonderful dinner. I felt such a connection with all these great people. I will NEVER forget my experience in Ethiopia. I am so grateful for every person who came into my life. Not only was it hard to say goodbye to Keira, but it was hard to say goodbye to the other families. They will always be in my heart......................

2 comments:

  1. Tears....I am not looking forward to having to leave our kids. I have loved reading about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I found you through the AA Yahoo group. I am waiting on court and my little girl is at the transition house. I am looking for someone to take a package to her. I would think your Embassy time is coming up. Is there any way you would be willing to take her a little something? Thanks
    leppardb@mac.com
    Moira Leppard

    ReplyDelete